Joseph S. Gillin Jr.
Joseph S. Gillin Jr., has been practicing law in Brevard County for more than 35 years. He has earned Florida Bar Board Certification,
which is the highest level of recognition by The Florida Bar for the competency and experience of a civil trial attorney. Less than one percent of Florida lawyers are Board Certified in civil law. Mr. Gillin has been Board Certified for the past 25 years. Becoming Board Certified required taking an exhaustive two-day examination addressing the various issues facing a lawyer in the area of civil trials and it further involves review of the attorney’s skill and professionalism by Judges the attorney has been before, as well as defense lawyers that the attorney has litigated against.
Mr. Gillin is also a member of the American Board of Trial Advocates, which is a group of 600 lawyers in Florida out of the 100,000 lawyers who practice. The group consists of half Plaintiff’s lawyers and half Defense lawyers and the attorney must be invited to join the group by a lawyer who is already a member. Approximately 300 Plaintiff’s lawyers belong to the American Board of Trial Advocates, out of the 100,000 lawyers in the State of Florida. This membership is possibly the highest honor a practicing lawyer can receive because it in essence means that the lawyer possesses the skills, professionalism, and courtesy expected of lawyers who litigate cases. A lawyer cannot apply to be a member of this group but rather has to be invited by a lawyer already within the group presumably who has litigated against this lawyer.
Mr. Gillin achieved a jury verdict award approaching $2 million dollars in a case that at least ten other law firms had turned down. He has resolved cases exceeding $1 million dollars, as well as many cases in the hundreds of thousands of dollars throughout his career.
Joseph’s areas of practice include personal injury / wrongful death, auto accidents, and catastrophic injuries.
He is admitted to practice in all Florida state and federal courts. He is a member of the American Bar Association, The Florida Bar, Brevard County Bar Association and the Florida Justice Association. Joseph is a graduate of Brown University, Florida Institute of Technology and the University of Florida Levin College of Law at the University of Florida law school and graduated with Honors. Mr. Gillin was a member of the Law Review, had an article published.
- Personal Injury
- Automobile Accidents and Injuries
- Wrongful Death
- Catastrophic Injuries
- The Florida Bar, 1974
- U.S. District Court, Middle District of Florida
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Eleventh Circuit
- University of Florida, J.D., with honors, 1973
- Phi Delta Phi
- University of Florida Law Review, 1972-1973.
- Author: “Government in the Sunshine: Another Cloud on the Horizon,” 25 Florida Law Review 603, 1973.
- Florida Institute of Technology, M.S., Electrical Engineering, 1968
- Brown University, B.S., Electrical Engineering, 1962
- Brown University, B.A., Economics, 1962
Certifications / Specialties:
- Board Certified Civil Trial Lawyer, Florida Bar Board of Legal Specialization and Education
Awards & Honors:
- Florida Super Lawyers
Professional Associations and Leadership Activities:
- American Bar Association – Member
- Tort and Insurance Practice Section – Member
- Litigation Section – Member
- Brevard County Bar Association – Member
- Director, 1982-1983
- Grievance Committee, 1981-1984
- Florida Justice Association – Member
- The Central Florida Trial Lawyers Association – Member
- The Florida Bar – Member
- Trial Lawyers Section – Member